Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dabbling in the Kitchen: Chicken Stir Fry with Rice Noodles

I've always loved stir fry (and Chinese food in general). But it was always hard for me to find the right balance of soy sauce and other spices. Putting soy sauce on the stir fry after everything was done either resulted in tasting too salty or just runny without any real taste. Then a few weeks ago I had a cooking epiphany. Cook the chicken IN the soy sauce.


It's so simple and makes a HUGE difference. Another piece of the stir fry puzzle - add about a teaspoon full of corn starch to help thicken things up.

I have to admit - I was a little nervous to share this one. My uncle was born and raised in Hong Kong and my dad makes some pretty killer stir fry. In fact, everyone in my family can cook  pretty well - so I'm always curious as to what they'll say about what I've made.

There's not a set recipe. Pick a meat (I like chicken because I usually have some in the freezer), the veggies you like (I usually do a packaged veggie medley and a box of mushroom slices) and either rice or rice noodles. I've started using rice noodles because they are a nice change of pace.

So, tonight - as I was working out I started the rice noodles soaking. By the time we were done with the workout the noodles were ready. I cut up the chicken and started sauteing them in a touch of olive oil and a few tablespoons of soy sauce. Once the chicken was cooked through I added two teaspoons of cornstarch (which was too much - whoops. Just add some more soy sauce until you have a creamy consistency).

Once the chicken & soy sauce is cooked, add in the veggies and rice noodles. (Or, if you are doing regular rice - cook the rice according to the package while you're cooking the stir fry.) Don't forget to add a little water to help steam the veggies.

It took about 8 minutes to get the veggies cooked and the noodles the right consistency. I usually cover with a lid and stir occasionally.

The first time I made the stir fry with the noodles Chris didn't really like it - but I didn't let them soak as long as the package called for. Tonight I allowed them to soak a little extra. Verdict? "It was good, but the noodles were a little too soft." Well. Next time I'll get it... ;)


I've got one more food blog planned for the week - Thursday is the plan. We'll see if it happens. :)
Until then - happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment