Monday, April 25, 2011

Dabbling in Adventure: Walking Lake Monona

We took the opportunity on Easter Sunday to enjoy what the Lord made - nature! :)

It was a beautiful day - and especially lovely along the lakefront.


We packed a picnic and found a nice spot right on the edge of the shore. I believe it was right up on Turville Point.

In the picnic - sandwiches (whole wheat sandwich thins, summer sausage, hard salami, baby spinach and a teensy bit of mayo), cheddar cheese and soda (I had a San Pelligrino Aranciata, Chris had part of a Coke). I also packed some blood oranges in case we were looking for something sweet.



It was nice to sit and chat and take in the view as we ate. It also gave us the chance to get a pretty awesome family photo (thanks to the timer on my "new" camera).



After that, we snapped some photos and ate our lunch we started our trek. It was incredibly nice - low 50s, slight breeze and sun high in the sky. (More on *that* later.)

We saw lots of ducks and Canada geese - and TONS of beautiful houses. We might as well title the hike the "That house wouldn't suck" tour because we saw SO many homes we'd absolutely adore to live in. We'll NEVER be able afford. Many were on the lakefront or very close. Many were also historic landmarks. I know that would be lots of work - but it'd be amazing to live in something with the history that some of those homes have. This was one of my favorites...



We walked and walked and walked and walked and walked. In fact, we walked 12 miles. That's almost a half-marathon! No wonder it took us 6 hours to walk the whole thing!

For the most part it was fun and wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, Dexter kept giving us faces like this one...



That is, until about 8 miles into the walk. At that point we started getting blisters. And I started getting hip muscle cramps. Those hip cramps were forcing me to stop every half mile or so to stretch. That wasn't fun. And by the end of the 12 miles I thought I was going to cry and vomit. (I did neither - go me!)

We got home - and all three of us were EXHAUSTED and sore. Chris and I are both sunburned. Despite the sun being out and looking beautiful - we forgot sunscreen. And hats. As one of my co-workers stated today - my face looks like it is on fire. It's a little ridiculous.

Since we got home last night - Dex has been basically in one position - curled up.



As for today - we're all still a bit stiff. Dex is waddling more than he is walking. I got up and did 30 minutes of yoga - which I think was a HUGE help. I hope that I can continue to get up and do at least 15 minutes in the morning before work every morning. Not only does it make me feel nice and stretched out - it really helps me wake up. After work we did our 30 Day Shred dvd - and while our legs (and blistered feet) are still a bit stiff and sore - it was a good workout and felt good! I take that as a good sign. We're already planning on doing it again tomorrow - which means we're (slowly) making it a habit.

Looking forward to the rest of the week - we're hoping to go for a guided hike with the Madison Parks Department on Wednesday. Once a month through October the Parks Department is offering up free guided tours of the local conservancy parks (Madison has quite a few - and LOTS of parks in general - LOVE it). If it's not raining and we make it out, I'll share our experience with you all. And - if you're in the Madison area - you should come on out. Here's a link to the list of hikes: http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/parks/conservation/tours.cfm

Until next time - happy adventures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment