Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dabbling in Fitness: What's working

Every year I make the resolution to "get fit". 2011 was no different to start. Then I had my physical and my doctor told me I need to lose 30 pounds. So with a little more oomph, I've been working to get there (both "fit" and lighter).

I've tried a variety of ways to get closer to the goal. I've also said I'd do a lot of different things that haven't happened quite yet (getting back to running... rock climbing... hot yoga...)

At this point - after losing 5 pounds or so - I thought it would be a good idea to reflect on what is working.

1. Drinking LOTS of water.



































I took the time to measure out how much water I get each time I drink a full bottle so that I could better keep track of how many ounces I'm drinking every day. Each bottle is 24 ounces - and I'm easily drinking 4-6 bottles a DAY. For someone who a few short years ago refused to drink water unless it was flavored - that's a HUGE deal.

2. Daily vitamin
I've started taking a daily multi-vitamin. While I try to make sure that I'm getting the vitamins and nutrients I need in my diet - I'm not 100% sure I'm doing that every day. I picked "Nature Made Multi for Her" because it appears to be a well balanced vitamin.

3. Basic diet plan I can follow every day. Even on the weekends
I've really formulated out an easy diet plan to follow. And while it would work on the weekends, I don't have to follow it on the weekends. Here's basically what I do:
Breakfast - poached egg & fruit Chobani
Lunch - mini Clif bar (I use a variety pack so that I'm not eating the SAME thing every lunchtime)
Afternoon snack - blood orange (and sometimes a handful of nuts or a mini-Babybel cheese)
Dinner - varies
Night snack - varies

Now - this does vary on the weekends. I typically have a larger lunch and no snack. I'll also swap out the egg & yogurt for some whole oat cereal and skim milk. Or a fruit smoothie made at home.

4. Eating more fruit
I've always liked fruit. This spring I rediscovered Blood Oranges. I LOVE them. When I was little they kind a freaked me out (weird, I know), but now I can't get enough of them. If we have them in the house, I'll have at least one a day. When we're out I substitute in bananas. I've also rotated in raspberries and blueberries. The one fruit I haven't been able to rotate in regularly has been apples. I don't know why... but I just can't get into apples. I love apple juice - but eating an actual apple has no appeal for me. Weird.

5. Journaling



































I've got two journals (mainly because I ran out of room for part of my journaling in my first journal.
Here's the journal that's helped me the most: The food journal.

In my food journal I write down EVERYTHING I eat and I *try* to keep track of how many calories and calories from fat are in each. I also keep track of how many bottles of water I've had to drink. Here's why it's helped me so much: I am more aware of the food choices I'm making. When I first read about food journaling I thought it was silly. Now that I do it, I'm so glad I do. It's also helped me realize where I can improve those decisions. One place I need to improve is in my calorie counts. I need to be more consistent when it comes to a total calorie count. One day I'll barely hit 1200 and the next I'm at nearly 1700. I'd really like to be consistently hitting 1200-1300 calories a day. We'll see if I can be better at getting there.

The other journal I've been keeping is a "Wellness Journal" by Moleskine. I LOVE it.

There are several sections in the Wellness journal and I don't use all of them. I do use the exercise section to track how often and how hard I'm working. I used the food section until it was full and I've created some of my own sections to track my weight and the events I've signed up for. It also has a section for inspirations and goals that I plan to make better use of.
6. Working out (I know, right?)
I know it seems like a no-brainer, but I think exercise is where I struggle the most. There's always something else that needs to be done or seems more important. And I have this weird misconception that I MUST work out EVERYDAY for HOURS at the GYM. That mindset makes it so much harder to actually work out. While I do use the gym we're members at (I used to just pay the membership and not go - oops), I've also found some new ways to exercise...




































This is one of the things I've found that helps me work out at home. I don't watch Biggest Loser and I think that Jillian Michaels is a little scary and annoying - but this dvd kicks my butt. (Well, I just started using it, but it DOES kick my butt.)

7. Making it a family affair

Part of my success is always due to my husband. He helps motivate me to get up and moving on the weekends and even after work. When I took up running last spring/summer he came out running with me. When I started going back to the gym, he came with me and is even taking "body sculpt" with me even though he is often the only guy in the class. When we work out at home - he does the 30 Day Shred with me. :)
And, I can't leave out the Dexmonster...
This guy keeps us hitting the trail on the weekends. There's nothing quite as satisfying as hitting the trail and seeing his crazy happy puppy face. It makes me want to hike and walk every day. And that is a great thing. When we're not hiking (and only taking a long walk), I strap on some wrist weights which helps give me a more complete work out.

9. A Reese's egg a day
I LOVE Reese's eggs. Especially frozen. Since it's Easter time, there are bags upon bags of these amazingly delicious treats available EVERYWHERE. I love it. I picked the mini-eggs to help cut down on calories and fat and whatnot. I feel that giving myself this one small indulgence every day really helps cut down on the chances that I'll overindulge ever. I'm allowed to have one thing that I absolutely LOVE each day so that I'm not tempted to eat an entire pint of ice cream down the road.

That's what's working. I still have things to work on. Like getting up and working out before going to work or getting out and running or finally make it to hot yoga. (I've taken hot yoga in the past and adored it - now I just need to make that 4p Saturday class WORK.)

Here's to making the rest of it work - and keeping up on the things that do work! :)

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say...this post was a huge inspiration to me!
    It all helped me so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon - I'm so happy to share! I'm glad that you're able to find a few things to help you through my trial and error. :) If something's working for you (or not working) - please feel free to share!

    ReplyDelete