Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dabbling in Fitness: Lessons Learned from a DVD

We've been using dvds at home to work out. In the morning, I've been doing 15 minute yoga sessions (sometimes 2 in a row, sometimes just one). In the evening, Chris & I do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

I'll start with the yoga.
I highly recommend this dvd. It has 4 workouts that are each 15 minutes in length. Each workout targets a different muscle group: Abs, Upper Body, Lower Body and Total Body Conditioning.

I like doing the total body conditioning - especially if I'm only doing one session. Yesterday I did both the total body and the lower body because my legs were hurting after that monster walk on Sunday and I felt I needed a little extra stretching.

While I've done yoga off and on for years and have several different dvds, this one has been my favorite. It's basic movements that give a deep stretch - and just 15 minutes DOES make a difference. It helps me wake up better than anything else I've ever tried. But, watch out for the relaxation pose at the end... this morning I laid there for a little longer than I should have and almost fell back asleep on the living room floor.

Lessons learned --
Morning yoga is now a must. I feel so much better when I do it.
15 minutes is a major impact on the day
I need to get a lightweight blanket to put over my mat for back rolls. This morning it was a bit tough to do them because my back was achey.

Now for 30 Day Shred.

Now - we've only done the shred 4 times. It's way more intense than I thought it would be and I can't even begin to imagine what levels 2 & 3 are like.

Usually I'm not a big fan of workout dvds - especially cardio/weight training ones. All of the workout gurus are a bit annoying in the voice overs. Too perky and faux-motivational. I know they have to be - but it just grates on me. Jillian Michaels is no exception - but the dvd has this feature where you can do the workout only to music - not to her voice instruction.

I don't recommend it. We did it yesterday and it was a little freaky. Plus, you have to pay MUCH closer attention to the dvd. And everything feels like it takes twice as long. Seriously, no matter how obnoxious you think she can be - don't turn off the voice instruction.

When we first did the dvd, we both started with too much weight. While it wasn't way too much weight - it did make things even more intense than we really needed for day one. Now that we're at the right weight level things are getting better.

There are a few moves that I groan every time I hear them mentioned. One is "jump rope" (where you pretend to jump a rope). I hate it because it makes the arches of my feet cramp up. Not much hurts worse than jumping on cramped up arches. Usually I just substitute in "butt kicks" (where you literally try to kick yourself in the ass with your heels - I actually like those). It keeps my heart rate up and doesn't cramp my feet.

So lessons learned:
Start with less weight than you think you need. It's easier to work up if you're not injured from using too much weight.
Use the voice instruction - it makes things go faster.
Jump ropes suck - but subbing in more "butt kicks" seems to help.

I have some other dvds that I'd like to rotate into the mix sometimes - but it'll take awhile for us to work through the 30 Day Shred. We'll see how it works out.

Tomorrow we're planning on going on a free guided tour at Olin-Turville Park - so if it doesn't rain, be ready for a fun "adventure" blog. :)

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment